[CentOS] Samba problem

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Oct 5 04:43:41 UTC 2013

On 10/4/2013 9:27 PM, Chris Weisiger wrote:
> You can set "security = share"
>
> I had mine set to see the user share but I changed my setup

are share passwords even supported anymore?  that was the default mode
for windows 3.x and 95-98 sharing, each share could have two passwords,
one for read-only and one for write, and there was no concept of a user.

what Ive always found works adequately is to create a smbpassword for
each windows user, with the same password as they log onto their
desktop.  then windows will just autoconnect.  if you have unix clients,
use nfs, not smb!!

what works *best* is to have active directory or another ldap+kerberos
implementation, and have all your windows systems joined to the domain
and users logging onto domain accounts.  THEN you share to the domain
accounts and its all good.

windows 7 and newer default to requiring more strict encryption and
authentication, which older systems may not provide by default.