[CentOS] Email access via Android device

Gary Greene ggreene at minervanetworks.com
Mon Oct 7 22:37:31 UTC 2013

> From: centos-bounces at centos.org [centos-bounces at centos.org] on behalf of Frank Cox
> [theatre at melvilletheatre.com]
>
>>   Alternatively your android device is perfectly capable of dealing
>> with 6 remote servers directly.
>
> The reason for handling outbound email this way instead of sending it directly
> from my phone (or whatever) is that this way I won't have to worry about sender
> restrictions on the various mailservers.  For example,  my own little mail and
> webserver lives on the 192.168.0.x network in my theatre, and postfix relay is
> set up to permit_mynetworks only.  In addition, I think (though I'm not
> completely certain) that both of the ISPs that I have service from allow email
> to be relayed through their mailservers only from a network address that's one
> of theirs.  I have routing tables set up on my main computer to make sure that
> outbound email goes out via the appropriate gateway.  I won't have to open up
> my own mailserver to relay any more than it does now, and the outbound email
> should continue to work as it does now.
>
> It appears that I can make this whole mess work over a ssh connection via VX
> Connectbot, so simply forwarding port 22 on my gateway routers to my main
> computer should buy me everything that I need.  Plus that gives me a commandline
> on my main computer from anywhere, and I can play with vnc on my phone too.  I
> don't know how usable vnc would actually be on such a small screen but I'll
> give it a shot one of these days and see what it looks like.
>
> That's my scheme so far.  Any of you fine folks are very welcome to tell me why
> it won't work or suggest a better way to get from Point A to Point B.  I've
> never set up anything quite like this before so it's a figure-it-out-as-I-go
> procss.

Being a mail administrator for both work, and a couple of other sites, the only concern I would have with this is that you need to be fairly careful that the outgoing is routing out a machine that is authorized to send mail for these domains, otherwise, you'll be looking at a lot of providers blocking your messages as being potential spam fodder and subsequently blacklisting you or the domains in question.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sr. Systems Administrator