[CentOS] Email access via Android device

Frank Cox theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Mon Oct 7 23:50:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 18:37:40 -0500
Les Mikesell wrote:

> Android could reply back through the account directly.  Your
> complications are coming from combining things in the first place.

I can't reply directly from my phone because of restrictions on the
mailservers. Gmail and friends don't care, but both of the ISP's that I have
email accounts on allow outbound SMTP only from "their" IP addresses.  So if
I'm connected to J. Random WIFI, or even the Other Guy's cellular
network, sending email directly to those mailservers for forwarding along ain't
gonna work.

My desktop computer has routing tables that make sure that email to various
mailservers goes out the right gateway so this problem doesn't exist.

> especially if they all offer IMAP so your computer and phone see the same
> things.

Some don't have IMAP at all, and some don't allow IMAP on "foreign" IP
addresses.  Therefore, I would be stuck with webmail on those particular
webservers, which seems really inconvenient and won't allow me to aggregate all
of my email into a single (sorted) pile.