[CentOS] remote sudo script

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 11:52:13 UTC 2013

hey there,

Thanks for playing!

> tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> > `/data/solr-4.3.1/zoe/etc/
> logback.xml' -> `/tmp/logback.xml--20131007.bak'
>
> The cp did work, sudo accepted the password.
> Note that ${i} was not interpolated into the file name.

Yes good point about ${i} not being interpolated. However this example is
from when the command is individually executed and not as part of the
script. When you pop that line into my script for some reason the password
is not passed to sudo. Just something I find odd, because the syntax hasn't
changed at all so why would it not work in the script?

> > tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3372 Oct  7 22:07
> > /home/tdunphy/logback.xml--20131007.bak
>
> the ls did work

 Yes. Again, this happened when the command was executed individually, but
NOT as part of the script.

> > tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> > [sudo] password for tdunphy:
>
> But what's that?
> Is the password the same on all hosts, i.e. it works for one host, but not
> the other?
> Or do you have another ssh in the for loop you did not tell us about?

 No, the password is the same across all of the hosts in the environment.
And the output that you see here is the exact same as what I was trying to
run.

> Try do add some debugging output with the hostname into the loop.

I added a little more debugging to the output, but otherwise the script is
unchanged. As soon as you try to pass the password to sudo via the script,
the password is not recognized.

 Here's the most recent run of the script:

[tdunphy at MIAGRBISSH01V ~]$ for i in MIAGRBIORCA0{1..9}V MIAGRBIORCA1{0..2}V
> do
> echo "backing up the file on host: $i"
> ssh -q -t -t -t $i sudo -S 'cp /data/solr-4.3.1/zoe/etc/logback.xml
/home/tdunphy/logback.xml-${i}-$(date +%Y%m%d).bak' <<EOF
> localG30rg3T0wn
> EOF
>
> echo -e "\n\n\n"
>
> echo "listing the backup to verify success on host: $i"
> ssh -q -t -t -t $i sudo -S 'ls -l  /home/tdunphy/logback.xml-$i-$(date
+%Y%m%d).bak' <<EOF
> localG30rg3T0wn
> EOF
> sleep 2
> done
backing up the file on host: MIAGRBIORCA01V
tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
*[sudo] password for tdunphy:*

listing the backup to verify success on host: MIAGRBIORCA01V
tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
*[sudo] password for tdunphy: *

Definitely open to any ideas at this point, this problem seems like a weird
one to me!

Again, sincere thanks to anyone offering suggestions.

Tim

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 7:06 AM, Markus Falb <wnefal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08.Okt.2013, at 04:51, Tim Dunphy wrote:

> > But more importantly, when I try to pop the above two working statements
> > from the command line into a script, the following occurs:
> >
> > [tdunphy at MIAGRBISSH01V ~]$ for i in MIAGRBIORCA0{0..9}V
> MIAGRBIORCA1{0..2}V
> >>
> >> do
> >>
> >> ssh -q -t -t -t $i sudo -S 'cp -v /data/solr-4.3.1/zoe/etc/logback.xml
> > /tmp/logback.xml-${i}-$(date +%Y%m%d).bak' <<EOF
> >> secret_sauce
> >> EOF
> >>
> >> ssh -q -t -t -t $i sudo -S 'ls -l  /home/tdunphy/logback.xml-${i}-$(date
> > +%Y%m%d).bak' <<EOF
> >> secret_sauce
> >> EOF
> >>
> >> done
>

> > tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> > `/data/solr-4.3.1/zoe/etc/logback.xml' ->
> `/tmp/logback.xml--20131007.bak'
>
> The cp did work, sudo accepted the password.
> Note that ${i} was not interpolated into the file name.
>
> > tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3372 Oct  7 22:07
> > /home/tdunphy/logback.xml--20131007.bak
>
> the ls did work
>
> > tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> > [sudo] password for tdunphy:
>
> But what's that?
> Is the password the same on all hosts, i.e. it works for one host, but not
> the other?
> Or do you have another ssh in the for loop you did not tell us about?
>
> Try do add some debugging output with the hostname into the loop.
>
> --
> Markus

GPG me!!