[CentOS] Sendmail not presenting AUTH option after EHLO

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Oct 9 05:55:59 UTC 2013

Am 08.10.2013 23:50, schrieb Chris Boyd:
> Hello folks,
>
> I have a CentOS 6.4 installation running Sendmail, and after some serious hair tear stare and compare I'm a bit stumped.  When I connect to the server either with telnet or SSL, sendmail is not presenting the AUTH  capability after an EHLO.  Everything looks like it should be working, but no amount of tweaking is getting the AUTH capability advertised (and it doesn't work if you just try it anyway).
>
> Here's the config bits from sendmail.mc--
>
> 	define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p')dnl
> 	define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
> 	TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl

General advise: only offer those mechanisms your SASL backend can
provide. As you are using saslauthd the shared secret mechanisms do not
work.

> Note:  Also tried
> 	define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
> 	define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
> 	TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
> just to keep things simple.
>
> saslauthd is running, and configured--/etc/sysconfig/saslauthd
>
> 	SOCKETDIR=/var/run/saslauthd
> 	MECH=pam
> 	FLAGS=
>

> /etc/sasl2/Sendmail.conf contains--
> 	pwcheck_method:saslauthd
>

> /etc/pam.d/smtp contains--
> 	#%PAM-1.0
> 	auth       include	password-auth
> 	account    include	password-auth
>

> But when I do "openssl s_client -starttls smtp -connect localhost:587" I don't get any AUTH capability--
>
> ehlo localhost
> 250-pennzoil.gizmopartners.com Hello localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-SIZE
> 250-DSN
> 250-DELIVERBY
> 250 HELP
> quit
>

> All the certs are built, and if I connect via telnet, the server does advertise STARTTLS.
>
> So anyone able to point out the obvious or not so obvious config mistakes?

I see no mistake. Make sure you have the sendmail-cf package installed,
else the .cf files can't be rebuild based on modified .mc files. Make
too sure that you have the necessary cyrus-* packages installed.

Regards

Alexander