[CentOS] Firewall/Gateway Hardware Question

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Oct 15 20:32:55 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 02:31:03PM -0400, Steve Clark wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are running 51 ipsec vpns on an Atom D510 at 1.66ghz and the load
> average is .07.
>
> HTH,
> Steve

Some years back I used to run Smoothwall/GPL as a home firewall/router
on things such as 90 MHz pentiums (with 64 or even 128 MB RAM), or at
one point a 500 MHz AMD K6, and it had no load problems at all handling
the 3 or 4 of us here who share the household LAN. Therefore I'd think
that something such as an Atom would be entirely up to the task. There
are a number of (relatively) inexpensive Atom boards in a Micro-ATX or
Mini-ATX format that you could use, for example.

Fred

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us