[CentOS] baby blue screen of permanent death

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sat Oct 26 18:03:20 UTC 2013

Absent other ideas, I might try re-installing CentOS or re-installing X.
I have a pretty good idea how to do the former,
but the latter might be harder despite, in principle, being less intrusive.

My understand is that unistalling X will
normally take all its dependents will it.
That means That I will have to re-install said dependents,
possibly listing each one separately.
My thought is to /usr/bin/script yum's output into a file.
I'd use the file to produce another yum commmand to reinstall X's dependents.
Does that seem like a good plan?

To reinstall CentOS, I would back up things that needed backing up.
I would use yum to list all installed packages.
I would use my grub menu to select the same
stanza that I used to do a net-install of CentOS.
It might be nice to use a kickstart file, but I do not know how.

After the install,
I would restore the directory that listed all my repositories.
This is a step I am not sure about.
I have a vague recollection that that is not sufficient.
What else would I need to do?
I would use the yum listing to install everything I have now.
Does this seem like a good plan?

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily