[CentOS] NetworkManager substitute??

Nux! nux at li.nux.ro
Mon Oct 28 19:00:01 UTC 2013

On 28.10.2013 18:23, Fred Smith wrote:
> thanks, I'll go take a look.  As far as I can tell from all the
> aforementioned HOWTOs, bridged is the way to do it?? none of 'em
> says anything about doing it any other way. what am I overlooking
> in my ignorance?

If all you want is just to have a local VM and no special requirements,
libvirt provides you with a virtual bridge (virbr0) that is NAT-ed to
your public uplink.
All VMs are by default connected to this virtual bridge, unless you
specify otherwise and given an IP from the 192.168.122.0/24 range; your
host machine will be 192.168.122.1.

All of the above happens autmagically once you start libvirtd. If you
want to have the VM on the same public network as the host then indeed
you need to configure a bridge manully and connect both your public
interface (eth0) and your virtual machine's interface (vnetX) to it.

HTH

Nux!
www.nux.ro