[CentOS] XFS, inode64, and remount

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Tue Oct 29 19:11:08 UTC 2013

--- Original Message -----
| Hi all,
|
| I was recently poking more into the inode64 mount option for XFS
| filesystems.  I seem to recall a comment that you could remount a
| filesystem with inode64, but then a colleague ran into issues where
| he
| did that but was still out of inodes.  So, I did more research, and
| found this posting to the XFS list:
|
| http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2008-05/msg01409.html
|
| So for people checking the CentOS list archives, I hope this comes up
| in
| a search.  (It was not easy to find the above post!)  You must umount
| and re-mount an XFS filesystem in order to have the inode64 option
| work
| properly; a simple mount -o remount,inode64 is not sufficient.  (That
| posting is a bit old; if I have a chance I will check in on the XFS
| mailing list.)
|
| --keith

With XFS there are a few options for which a simple remount will not work.  Quotas are another example where the option will not work unless you fully unmount the file system.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices

“A successful person is one who can lay a solid foundation from the bricks others have thrown at them.” -David Brinkley via Luke Shaw