[CentOS] (no subject)

Jake Shipton jakems at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 31 20:30:42 UTC 2013

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:26:52 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Kaplan, Andrew H.
> <AHKAPLAN at partners.org> wrote:
> > Hello --
> >
> > We are running CentOS 6.3 64-bit distribution on one of our
> > servers, and I am involved in upgrading the Apache and OpenSSL
> > packages. I completed an upgrade to both where the version of each
> > that is installed on the server is the following:
> >
> > httpd 2.2.15-29.el6.centos
> > httpd-manual 2.2.15-29.el6.centos
> > httpd-tools 2.2.15-29.el6.centos
> > openssl 1.0.0-27.el6_4.2
> > openssl-devel 1.0.0-27.el6_4.2
> >
> > Are these the latest versions of Apache and OpenSSL that are
> > available to CentOS in package format? If not, what repository can
> > I go to for the latest versions?
>
> First, why aren't you doing a full 'yum update' to bring the whole
> system up to 6.4?
>
> Also, are you updating these packages to get new features or
> bug/security fixes?   CentOS tracks the updates in RHEL exactly and
> RHEL backports many security and bug fixes without changing the base
> package version numbers.  You can see these with:
> rpm -q --changelog package_name
> where the CVE numbers will be mentioned, if you are checking for some
> particular security issue.
>
> If you need new features, you may have to go to newer versions found
> elsewhere, but be very careful about replacing any base packages in
> your system - it is almost always the wrong thing to do.  You need to
> know more about Linux than the Red Hat engineers...

One other thing regarding the OpenSSL packages in 6.4, they do not
currently support TLS 1.2 and are stuck on TLS 1.0 so may be less
secure. [1]

However, Redhat is aware of this and 6.5 will be updating OpenSSL to a
more recent version which will support TLS 1.2 and solve most current
known security problems. [2]

So I'd suggest stick with the 6.4 packages for now, and once 6.5 is out
upgrade to those.

(For a while the last secure cipher in current OpenSSL in CentOS/RHEL
was RC4, however even that is now considered not so secure and should
be phased out. [1])

Also, may be worth doing a full upgrade to 6.4 then to 6.5 to ensure
any other hidden security issues are not lurking due to an out of date
package.

[1] https://community.qualys.com/blogs/securitylabs/2013/03/19/rc4-in-tls-is-broken-now-what
[2] https://www.redhat.com/about/news/archive/2013/10/latest-beta-release-of-red-hat-enterprise-linux-6-now-available

--