[CentOS] CentOS 6.4: sound not working

Sun Oct 13 14:22:37 UTC 2013
Jeff Layton <laytonjb at att.net>

Good morning,

I've got a new system with a fresh 6.4 installation. I didn't check
if the sound worked at first but I know it doesn't now. :)

The system board is an ASRock Extreme6. The Specs say it has
a Realtek ALC1150 audio chipset and 7.1 channels.

I'm running KDE and an Nvidia X driver (I need the video
performance of this driver - sorry about that). The System
Tools for Audio Output list 4 devices:

HDA Intel (HDA Generic)
PulseAudio
HDA NVidia (HDMI 0)

The speakers are connected via the typical audio jack and when
I test "HDA Intel (HDA General)" it says that the default device
did not work and it is using the PulseAudio device. I tested all 4
devices and nothing ever played. I've also made sure I have
the audio jack plugged into the right port on the board :)

I Googled a bit and one site suggested reinstalling the alsa kernel
module, which I did. No change - still no sound.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeff