[CentOS] baby blue screen of permanent death

Tue Oct 22 21:24:08 UTC 2013
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

I clicked on a window to try to raise it and get a good look.
Instead, my screen turned the baby blue mentioned
in the subject and I could do nothing else.
The mouse cursor was not even visible.
It's possible an alternate terminal was available,
but I didn't think of it at the time.
Eventually I hit the reset button.
My Daktech machine has a reset button separate from the power button.
The blue went away, but it hung after the CentOS logo appeared.
The watch mouse cursor appeared and stayed.
I could move it with the mouse,
but that was all I could do on that terminal.
The possilbility that it might have some major file
system checking to do caused me to wait for a few hours,
but the nothing changed.

It's my expectation that when the logo appears,
any file system checking has already been done.
Is that correct?

What is the incantation to get a text view of the start up
so that I can get a hint of what CentOS is waiting for?

I manged to boot an old Fedora 14 install,
but could not login because I had forgotten the passwords.
I'm doing this from Knoppix.

On another terminal, I can login to CentOS as root,
but do not know what else to do.

>From Koppix, I ran fsck on some file systems:
root at Knoppix:~# fsck LABEL=sata400-3-slash
fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
e2fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
sata400-3-slash: clean, 364784/977280 files, 2005224/3907811 blocks
root at Knoppix:~# fsck LABEL=sata400-5-var
fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
e2fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
sata400-5-var: clean, 5650/428240 files, 289518/1710914 blocks
root at Knoppix:~# fsck LABEL=sata400-12-homes
fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
e2fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
sata400-12-homes: clean, 279637/5242880 files, 10138872/20971520 blocks
root at Knoppix:~#

They ran rather quickly.  Should I trust the result?
Here is my fstab:
#
# /etc/fstab
# Created by anaconda on Sun Jun 24 18:14:46 2012
#
# Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under '/dev/disk'
# See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or blkid(8) for more info
#
LABEL=sata400-3-slash     /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=sata400-5-var       /var                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=sata400-12-homes    /homes                  ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=ide5-swap           swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
LABEL=sata400-6-swap      swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0

As you can see, I  changed it to use labels  instead of UUIDs.
/home is a soft link into /homes .

How do I change passwords on an install, e.g.  my  F14,
into which I cannot login?
I can edit the files from either Knoppix or from a CentoS terminal.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily