[CentOS] which kernel do people use?

Wed Oct 23 02:44:44 UTC 2013
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

Hi all,

I'm doing a very informal and unscientific poll: which kernel do you use
on your CentOS machines?  Not which version of the CentOS kernel, but
which repository.  Here are some examples I can think of off the top of
my head:

==CentOS stock
==build own from CentOS SRPMs
==kernel-ml (from ELRepo)
==kernel-lt (from ELRepo)
==OpenVZ kernel
==build own from kernel.org
==other?

One reason I'm curious is that on occasion there are features that I
would like to have from a newer kernel (e.g., --want-replacement from
md) that (AFAICT) are not in the stock CentOS kernel.  I've been using
kernel-ml for these but am curious what other folks do in these
situations, or whether people default to a different kernel for whatever
reason.

(And as an aside, who remembers when moving even from, say, a 1.2 to a
1.4 kernel, was an enormous amount of effort?  I'm so old.  Now anybody
can go from a 2.6 to a 3.11 kernel in less than ten minutes!)

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us