[CentOS] Samba problem

Sat Oct 5 01:13:49 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 6:27 PM, Joseph Hesse <joehesse at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> security = user
>>
>> you'll need to run
>>
>>       smbpasswd -a admin
>>
>> on the samba server, and give the 'admin' SMB user a password. Samba
>> can't use the unix /etc/password|shadow combination as the hashes used
>> by SMB aren't compatible.
>>

> I used "smbpasswd "to assign a Samba password to user "admin".  My Win7
> virtual machine still couldn't see the share.  It is my impression that
> the smb.conf file in the book I am using allows passwordless access to
> the shares.

Passwordless?  I don't think so.  Are you using 'connect as different
user' when you try to map the share?  If you aren't authenticating as
the 'admin' user you won't even see the home share for that user.   If
you are logged in as admin on the windows box in the same workgroup it
might just happen to work without re authenticating.

--
    Les Mikesell
       lesmikesell at gmail.com