[CentOS] Email access via Android device

Sat Oct 5 16:49:56 UTC 2013
Paul Shuttleworth <centos at aqualec.co.uk>

> I'm pretty sure that this is possible, but I don't currently know enough
> about
> email to know where to start.
>
> My main desktop computer runs Centos 6 and my preferred email client is
> Sylpheed, which supports both POP and IMAP email, and my "internal
> network" has
> a static IP address, so getting access to the computer from the big scary
> world
> via my phone isn't a problem.
>
> I have six different email accounts that live on various servers.  I have
> Sylpheed set up to poll each account once every ten minutes using POP3 and
> download all incoming mail.  Upon receipt, I have a whole lot of filters
> in
> Sylpheed to sort the mail into various subdirectories of my Mail
> directory.
> For example, one of my directory structures under Mail is inbox/1/2, and
> email may be sorted in Mail/inbox or Mail/inbox/1 or Mail/inbox/1/2, or
> other
> subdirectories outside of inbox like, for example, Mail/3.  In short, I
> have a dozen or so subdirectories that Sylpheed sorts mail into based on
> various criteria like From or Subject.
>
> What I would like to do is somehow make this whole thing available on my
> Android
> phone (Samsung Galaxy 3).  As it sits right now, if I am not sitting in
> front
> of my computer the only way I can check my email is to ssh into it and
> look at the files in each of those subdirectories using a text utility
> like
> less; this is really inconvenient and I can't reply to emails that way
> until I
> get back in front of my computer.
>
> I'm thinking that I need to run some kind of a mailserver on my computer
> that
> can be accessed by both Sylpheed locally and by ??? on my Android device.
> I get
> the impression that if I wanted to hand all of my email over to gmail I
> could
> then have something like this working.  I don't particularly want to do
> that; I would rather have something running on my own machine to do it.
>
> I could use something else to poll for my email (fetchmail?).   Sylpheed
> does
> have a configuration setting that I'm not currently using that says
> "Enable
> strict checking of summary caches -- enable this if the contents of the
> folders
> may be changed by other applications" so based on that I think it can
> handle
> having messages magically changed by a program on my Android device.
>
> What is the best way to approach this?  My best idea so far is to set up
> fetchmail (or something) to do the pop downloads of incoming mail, and
> have
> [...]

You could set up VNC on your desktop port forward to you desktop so you
can use a VNC viewer on the S3, the just use you normal desktop, but from
your phone. I do this, so I know it works.