[CentOS] Email access via Android device

Tue Oct 8 01:00:29 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com> wrote:

>> Android could reply back through the account directly.  Your
>> complications are coming from combining things in the first place.
>
> I can't reply directly from my phone because of restrictions on the
> mailservers. Gmail and friends don't care, but both of the ISP's that I have
> email accounts on allow outbound SMTP only from "their" IP addresses.

It's not that gmail doesn't care, it is that they handle authenticated
access for sending as part of the account setup.  And many/most mail
services do too.   It's probably not a good idea to rely on any
service where you don't have mobile access anyway.   Or to give out
ISP email addresses that will go away when you change services.

>> especially if they all offer IMAP so your computer and phone see the same
>> things.
>
> Some don't have IMAP at all, and some don't allow IMAP on "foreign" IP
> addresses.  Therefore, I would be stuck with webmail on those particular
> webservers, which seems really inconvenient and won't allow me to aggregate all
> of my email into a single (sorted) pile.

But in the bigger picture, how much do you need those
accounts/addresses?   And if you continue to use them at all, can you
set them to forward to something with more full-featured service?

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com