[CentOS] VNCserver not starting due to errors

Tue Oct 8 22:11:23 UTC 2013
Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com>

On Tue, 8 Oct 2013 16:56:39 -0500 (CDT)
Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

> I get to part 2.4, and when I start the vncservice, I get
> this error message:
>
> Starting VNC server: 1:blah Invalid null command.
> if: Expression Syntax.
> A VNC server is already running as :1
> else: endif not found.
>                                                             [FAILED]

Where do you get an "if" and "else" in the /etc/sysconfig/vncservers file?

All you really need is one line.  For example, here is  what it says
in /etc/sysconfig/vncservers on one system that I log into all the time:

VNCSERVERS="1:frankcox"

That's it and that's all, folks.  If you're trying to do something else your
problem is with that something else, not with vncserver.

>. I want to be on window "0", not 1.

Now that is something else.  I assume that you mean you want to control the
local desktop with vnc, right?  I have never done that myself, but running "vnc
display 0" through google gives a lot of hits to various howtos which will
probably get you where you're going.