[CentOS] suddenly X gives black screen with small clock cursor

Fri Oct 11 13:41:08 UTC 2013
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 02:50:14AM -0700, John Doe wrote:
> From: Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
>
> >  I rebooted a while ago (and in between the down and up, I installed Fedora
> >  20 Beta on a USB hard drive, making sure it wouldn't mess with my
> > Centos  system). The install went fine, but afterwards, when I reboot Centos, it
> >  comes up with a black screen and a clock as the mouse cursor (small clock).
> >
> >     chmod a+rw /dev/null
> >     chmod a+rw /dev/urandom
> >     chmod a+rw /dev/zero
> >     chmod a+rw /dev/full
> >     chmod a+rw /dev/random
> >
> > Can anyone suggest an accurate way to have the system fix all the permissions
> > in /dev? some arcane options on rpm, perhaps?
>
> Nothing at all in the logs...?

Nothing I can see in the logs looks particularly damning.

> Global check: rpm -qVa
running that right now, will post again if anything interesting turns up.

> Maybe check udev confs...?
I was thinking of that, but the amount I know aobut udev wouldn't cover
the head of a pin. Open to suggestions, though.

                        The Lord is like a strong tower.