[CentOS] setuid or other ideas

Tue Oct 15 15:57:47 UTC 2013
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> I have never used setuid, but it appears that this will only allow a
> piece of software to be set to root.  I really do not want to give that
> kind of privilege to this piece of software.

IIRC suid sets the effective user to the owner of the file.
If ceres runs a setuid program owned by series,
the effective user will become series.
There is also a system call to make effective owner the actual owner.
suid root programs often use it after they have glommed
onto all the necessary resources only availale to root.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily