[CentOS] xorg updates hose GUI with Nvidia driver

Wed Oct 16 00:58:35 UTC 2013
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Thomas Eriksson
<thomas.eriksson at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

>> Errr, this was not a kernel update and elrepo kmod-nvidia is installed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> B.J.
>
> The libglx.so.325.15 file comes from the nvidia-x11-drv package, not the
> kmod-nvidia.
>
> Elrepo is not putting any symlink in /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions
> only in /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia
>
> It then adds /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia to the
> ModulePath in xorg.conf so the Xserver picks up the nvidia version of
> libglx.so before the Xorg version. That way you
>
> If you do have/had a symlink in /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions, it's
> a remnant from NVIDIA's own distribution, IIRC. It is the
> xorg-x11-server-Xorg package that writes over that symlink.
>
>         Thomas

I was about to write the same when I saw your post. Thank you, Thomas.
 So, that is the "yet another reason to use kmod-nvidia" -- not being
affected by Xorg updates.

Akemi