[CentOS] - monitoring software

Fri Oct 18 16:01:09 UTC 2013
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Paolo De Michele
<paolo at paolodemichele.it>wrote:

> hi,
>
> I have a dedicated server with several services running: ssh, ftp, httpd
> (with several sites andactive domains), the mail server (dovecot,
> postfix), dns.
>
> I'd like to monitor all of these services in a graphical, easy, setting
> of thresholds and alerts via email.
> I would also like that if a customer wanted to see the graphs I could
> create codes read-only.

Cacti can do the graphs and individual (customer) logins.  But not alerts,
so you either need to find a solution that integrates both alerts and
graphs in one or have two separate monitoring software running.

We've had a few mailing list threads on this topic in the past.
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2013-March/133383.html
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2013-October/137352.html

> there is one or more software that are right for me?

Nagios for alerts/pages.
Cacti for trend graphs.
And there's PNP4Nagios which is an add-on for graphing.