[CentOS] htdocs on NFS share / any pitfalls?

Wed Oct 23 09:01:45 UTC 2013
Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com>

Am 23.10.2013 um 07:52 schrieb James A. Peltier <jpeltier at sfu.ca>:
> | i have a new setup where the htdocs directory for the webserver
> | is located on a nfs share. Client has cachefilesd configured.
> | Compared to the old setup (htdocs directory is on the local disk)
> | the performance is not so gratifying. The disk is "faster" compared
> | to the ethernet link but the cache should at least compensate this
> | a bit. Do they exist more pitfalls for such configurations?
> |

> The best thing to do with respect to NFS shares is to make extensive use of caching
> in front of the web servers.  This will hide the latencies that the NFS protocol will
> bring.  You can try to scale NFS through use of channel bonding or pNFS/Gluster but
> setting up a reverse proxy or memcached instance is going to be your best bet to making
> the system perform well.

All web-frontends (multiple) have the filesystem caching already in
place (bottom layer). The application uses a key-value-store in memory (top layer) to
accelerate the webapp (php). Nevertheless the performance is not satisfying. I was looking
at some caching by the httpd daemon (middle layer). Any experiences with such apache
cache out there?

Thanks
--
LF