[CentOS] which kernel do people use?

Wed Oct 23 09:34:41 UTC 2013
Carl T. Miller <carl at carltm.com>

wwp wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 19:44:44 -0700 Keith Keller
> <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
>
>> I'm doing a very informal and unscientific poll: which kernel do you use
>> on your CentOS machines?  Not which version of the CentOS kernel, but
>> which repository.  Here are some examples I can think of off the top of
>> my head:
>>
>> ==CentOS stock
>> ==build own from CentOS SRPMs
>> ==kernel-ml (from ELRepo)
>> ==kernel-lt (from ELRepo)
>> ==OpenVZ kernel
>> ==build own from kernel.org
>> ==other?
>
> stock, latest available. But it doesn't fully support my Dell Latitude
> E6530 hardware (webcam and some Dell Fn keys), so I'm interested in
> your poll!

I almost always use the latest stock kernel, with one memorable
exception.

I had a laptop which would not boot until I unplugged it and
removed the battery.   The reason was a faulty mouse driver,
and the fix was to remove the mouse driver module prior to
shutdown.  The problem was that the mouse driver was compiled
into the kernel.  So I used the SRPM, changed the option to
install the mouse driver as a module and recompiled.  Following
the directions on the Centos wiki was pretty easy.