[CentOS] baby blue screen of permanent death

Wed Oct 23 20:47:35 UTC 2013
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013, John R Pierce wrote:

> On 10/22/2013 2:24 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> How do I change passwords on an install, e.g.  my  F14,
>> into which I cannot login?
>> I can edit the files from either Knoppix or from a CentoS terminal.
>
> edit /mnt/.../etc/shadow  and delete the password hash between the first
> two :'s, so it looks like username::.....

That worked after I also deleted the x from passwd.
I still do not know how to fix anything.
>From my point of view it just stops for no apparent reason.
I forgot to edit the kernal line the last time I boot centos,
but if the output oof dmesg is an indication,
it got a bit further this time:

ip6_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
nf_conntrack version 0.5.0 (16384 buckets, 65536 max)
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
e100 0000:02:08.0: eth0: NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
p4-clockmod: P4/Xeon(TM) CPU On-Demand Clock Modulation available
RPC: Registered named UNIX socket transport module.
RPC: Registered udp transport module.
RPC: Registered tcp transport module.
RPC: Registered tcp NFSv4.1 backchannel transport module.
SELinux: initialized (dev rpc_pipefs, type rpc_pipefs), uses genfs_contexts
eth0: no IPv6 routers present
802.1Q VLAN Support v1.8 Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>
All bugs added by David S. Miller <davem at redhat.com>
SELinux: initialized (dev autofs, type autofs), uses genfs_contexts
SELinux: initialized (dev autofs, type autofs), uses genfs_contexts
SELinux: initialized (dev autofs, type autofs), uses genfs_contexts
eth0: no IPv6 routers present
Bridge firewalling registered
tun: Universal TUN/TAP device driver, 1.6
tun: (C) 1999-2004 Max Krasnyansky <maxk at qualcomm.com>
device virbr0-nic entered promiscuous mode
virbr0: starting userspace STP failed, starting kernel STP
Ebtables v2.0 registered
SELinux: initialized (dev mqueue, type mqueue), uses transition SIDs
SELinux: initialized (dev proc, type proc), uses genfs_contexts
SELinux: initialized (dev mqueue, type mqueue), uses transition SIDs
lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
SELinux: initialized (dev proc, type proc), uses genfs_contexts

The SELinux line is new.

Is there somewhere I can put print statements
to try to figure out what is going on?

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily