[CentOS] ZFS on Linux in production?

Thu Oct 24 20:59:15 UTC 2013
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 10/24/2013 1:41 PM, Lists wrote:
> Was wondering if anybody here could weigh in with real-life experience?
> Performance/scalability?

I've only used ZFS on Solaris and FreeBSD.    some general observations...

1) you need a LOT of ram for decent performance on large zpools. 1GB ram
above your basic system/application requirements per terabyte of zpool
is not unreasonable.

2) don't go overboard with snapshots.   a few 100 are probably OK, but
1000s (*) will really drag down the performance of operations that
enumerate file systems.

3) NEVER let a zpool fill up above about 70% full, or the performance
really goes downhill.

4) I prefer using striped mirrors (aka raid10) over raidz/z2, but my
applications are primarily database.

(*) ran into a guy who had 100s of zfs 'file systems' (mount points),
per user home directories, and was doing nightly snapshots going back
several years, and his zfs commands were taking a long long time to do
anything, and he couldn't figure out why.  I think he had over 10,000
filesystems * snapshots.