[CentOS] which kernel do people use?

Fri Oct 25 01:32:54 UTC 2013
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

On 2013-10-23, Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

> I'm doing a very informal and unscientific poll: which kernel do you use
> on your CentOS machines?

Thanks to all for what was a surprisingly interesting thread!  Here are
my very informal and unscientific tallies.  This isn't actual systems,
of course; it's counting people's responses, so my ~10 vanilla kernels
count as one Stock in the tally below.

Stock: 16
CentOS Plus: 5
ELRepo -ml: 3
ELRepo unspecified: 2
Custom build: 2
ELRepo -lt: 1
Stock + ELRepo kmods: 1
Oracle: 1
OpenVZ: 1

No big surprise in the results; most people tend to stay with the stock
kernel, but quite a few people use one of the others.  I imagine that
more people who didn't respond would be more likely to be stock kernel
users, so the numbers are probably a bit skewed towards the tinkerers
and funky hardware or kernel feature requirements.

People's reasons for using a non-stock kernel were also not a huge
surprise.  I don't recall anyone saying that they use a different kernel
just to be recent; in the cases I remember everyone had a reasonably
specific reason to use a non-stock kernel.  That also makes sense here;
it stands to reason that CentOS users want stability, and stray from the
path only when stability is compromised by sticking with stock.

Thanks all for responding!

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us