[CentOS] ZFS on Linux in production?

Fri Oct 25 06:44:57 UTC 2013
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 10/24/2013 11:18 PM, Warren Young wrote:
> All of the ZFSes out there are crippled relative to what's shipping in Solaris now, because Oracle has stopped releasing code.  There are nontrivial features in zpool v29+, which simply aren't in the free forks of older versions o the Sun code.

openZFS is doing pretty well on the BSD/etc side of things.   some of
the original developers of ZFS, who long since bailed on Oracle, are
contributing code thats not in the Oracle branch, they forked in 2010,
with the last release from Sun, when OpenSolaris was discontinued.  The
current version of OpenZFS no longer relies on 'version numbers',
instead it has 'feature flags' for all post v28 features.  The version
in my BSD 9.1-stable system has feature-flags for...

async_destroy                         (read-only compatible)
      Destroy filesystems asynchronously.
empty_bpobj                           (read-only compatible)
      Snapshots use less space.
lz4_compress
      LZ4 compression algorithm support.