[CentOS] Does elrepo fix google-chrome requirement for newer glib and GTK

Sun Oct 27 19:24:39 UTC 2013
Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org>

On 10/27/2013 01:14 PM, Darr247 wrote:
> On 2013-10-27 @17:37 zulu, Larry Martell scribed:
>> I was able to get Chrome working by doing the following (as root):
>>
>> wget http://chrome.richardlloyd.org.uk/install_chrome.sh
>> chmod u+x install_chrome.sh
>> ./install_chrome.sh
>>
>> Chrome can then be run with the command: google-chrome &
>> Note that this will only run as a regular user, not as root.
>
> I ran that script to get Chrome v29.x to install 6 or 7 months ago...
> it fetches a GTK package from a fedora 15 repo and segregates it from
> the CentOS GTK files, if I recall correctly...
>
> yum has since upgraded Chrome 3 or 4 times (now at v31.something) from
> Google's repo with no further hoop jumping.

I'm glad this worked for you, but this is quite possibly the most
horrific way to put chrome on a system. This script pulls in packages
that no longer get updated, abuses LD_PRELOAD, builds as root, and quite
possibly consumes raw orphaned kittens.

This script should be classified as a criminal offense.

--
Jim Perrin