[CentOS] How should I reinstall CentOS?

Mon Oct 28 21:44:12 UTC 2013
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> Absent other ideas, I might try re-installing CentOS or re-installing X.
> I have a pretty good idea how to do the former,
> but the latter might be harder despite, in principle, being less intrusive.

Reinstalling everything with xorg in its name did not help.
I don't know how to find out what the trouble with X is.

> To reinstall CentOS, I would back up things that needed backing up.
> I would use yum to list all installed packages.
> I would use my grub menu to select the same
> stanza that I used to do a net-install of CentOS.
> It might be nice to use a kickstart file, but I do not know how.
>
> After the install,
> I would restore the directory that listed all my repositories.
> This is a step I am not sure about.
> I have a vague recollection that that is not sufficient.
> What else would I need to do?

Is there a command that I could use to record the
repositories I am using and restore them after the install?

> I would use the yum listing to install everything I have now.
> Does this seem like a good plan?

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily