[CentOS] NetworkManager substitute??

Mon Oct 28 23:41:59 UTC 2013
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro> wrote:

> On 28.10.2013 17:52, Fred Smith wrote:
> > I'm investigating how to setup KVM so I can run VMs without having to
> > use
> > VirtualBox or VMware, or etc.
> >
> > All the HOWTOs I see tell you to disable NM.

There is no reason to disable NM entirely.

But you can disable NM per interface with:
NM_CONTROLLED="no"

> > I use NM to manage VPN clients that I use for remote access to my
> > office,
> > among other places.
> >
> > How would I manage those VPN clients if I didn't use NM? I haven't
> > found
> > any commands that appear to be suited to that purpose.
> >
> > thanks!
>
> Hi,
>
> KVM/libvirt works just fine with NM enabled here. Never had a problem.

I've seen it is common practice to disable NM on bridge and other
interfaces at times.

I expect this excerpt from [0] is why I've seen NM disabled "per interface"
in various write-ups.
And in my case I never needed or wanted NM fiddling with most interfaces on
my headless servers. ;)

   - The NM_CONTROLLED=no should be added to the Ethernet interface to
   prevent *NetworkManager* from altering the file. It can also be added to
   the bridge configuration file in case future versions of
*NetworkManager* support
   bridge configuration.

[0]
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/s2-networkscripts-interfaces_network-bridge.html