[CentOS] How should I reinstall CentOS?

Tue Oct 29 21:24:42 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Michael Hennebry
<hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

>> However, note that your current problem may be related to something
>> you've pulled from a 3rd party repository so you should avoid blindly
>> repeating the process.   I'd install/update the package list from the
>
> My system had been running for a while without my adding anything new.
> My expectation is that something glitched and changed something in a
> manner that had gdb waiting for something that will never happen.
> I'll never know.

But did yum update any packages?  There's a certain amount of risk in
having uncoordinated 3rd party repos enabled when you do updates even
if you aren't intentionally adding/changing anything.    Does
/var/log/yum.log show anything around the time your problem started.

> I'm not willing to put in another week of
> effort out of a probably vain hope of discovery.

You might try running 'rpm -Va' to see if there are any surprises in
the list of differences between the current state and what was
installed.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com