[CentOS] How should I reinstall CentOS?

Wed Oct 30 18:57:49 UTC 2013
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 30.10.2013 18:28, schrieb Michael Hennebry:
>> On Wed, 30 Oct 2013, Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, I still feel a little confused on what the OP's original problem
>>> was and why they are headed in the direction of a 'reinstall the
>>> system'.  Seems a bit overkill for most problems.
>>
>> gdm hangs.
>> All attempts at diagnosis or repair have failed.
>> I've done a
>> yum reinstall \*
>
> and the same will happen on the rfresh install

A repetition of the past would be an impovement.
I had several months before gdm started hanging.

>> Most recently I did an explicit uninstall of gdm and its dependents.
>> After installing them again I issued the following command:
>> [root at localhost] hennebry# telinit 5
>> [root at localhost] hennebry# Calling the system activity data collector (sadc):
>> Starting portreserve:                               [OK]
>> Enabling p4-clockmod driver (passive cooling only): [OK]
>> Starting irqbalance:                                [OK]
>> Retrigger failed udev events:                       [OK]
>> Enabling Bluetooth devices
>> user had insufficient privilege
>>
>> After I got back from another virtual terminal,
>> the subsequent lines had appeared.
>> I do not have any bluetooth devices.
>
> so disable Bluetooth services would be a start to solve the problem
>
> chkconfig --help
> chkconfig --list
>
> in general: disable *all* unsued services
> do you use NFS? if not why portreserve get started?

After getting rid of portreserve, nfslock and bluetooth,
the only change was that Enabling Bluetooth devices no longer appeared.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily