[CentOS] elrepo kmod-sk98lin.i686

Steve Brooks

steveb at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Mon Sep 2 20:14:25 UTC 2013

Hi,

I noticed that one of out "Centos 5" servers with an onboard  "Marvell
88E8001" was showing some packet overruns.

# ifconfig -a eth0 | grep "RX p"

So I thought about using a driver from "elrepo" the lspci id's suggest to
install the "kmod-sk98lin" driver. I yum installed the kernel module and
on reboot found the server was still using the old "skge" driver.

ethtool -i eth0
driver: skge
version: 1.6

Looking at modprobe.conf shows

# cat /etc/modprobe.conf | grep eth0
alias eth0 skge

[1] Should I just change the "skge" in the above line to "sk98lin" and
reboot?

[2] This motherboard has a "Marvell 88E8052" as a second NIC, currently
disbled in the BIOS. Problem is that the "88E8001" NIC has to be "eth0" as
it is the one used in a "flexlm" license server file. In Centos five how
can you *force* a given NIC controller to always post at "eth0" ?

Cheers, Steve