[CentOS] Linux tool to check random I/O performance

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Wed Sep 4 20:45:30 UTC 2013

On 9/4/2013 13:44, mcclnx mcc wrote:

> for sequence I/O performance test we can use "hdparm -t /dev/xxx"
>
> bur for random I/O performance test which Linux command I can use?

I use Bonnie++ for that:

     http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/

Actually, I've been using the experimental pre-2.x version:

     http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/experimental/

It's a far better test for sequential I/O than hdparm -Tt, too.

> ** our environment does NOT allow install third party software..

Not even if it's:

  a) only for a test
  b) never installed, and
  c) removed immediately after the test completes?

Bonnie++ is self-contained, easy to build, and will run from the build
directory without having to be "make install"ed.  You can just remove
the build directory when the test is done.  There will be no traces that
the program was ever present.  We won't tell anyone you violated policy. :)