[CentOS] Linux tool to check random I/O performance

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Sep 5 09:01:28 UTC 2013

Am 04.09.2013 21:44, schrieb mcclnx mcc:
> we just purchase new I/O card and like to check I/O performance.
>
> for sequence I/O performance test we can use "hdparm -t /dev/xxx"

I think hdparm is really sub-optimal. "hdparm -t" will not give you any
reliable value. "dd" instead lets you control parameters like size of
data transmitted, and has control feature through oflag and iflag, and
lets you test read and write spead independently.

> bur for random I/O performance test which Linux command I can use?

fio  http://freecode.com/projects/fio

Available through EPEL.

> ** our environment does NOT allow install third party software..

Don't know whether EPEL is already forbidden land for you.

> Thanks

Alexander