[CentOS] Help with VMware ESXi manager for CentOS - newbie level

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 15:30:42 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 9/5/2013 3:52 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:
>> At one point, it would work, but not with https.  5.1 and up can have
>> everything managed from the web browser--they're actually dropping the
>> client, I believe, and having you do everything from the browser.  With
>> CentOS, (as opposed to Fedora) one needed to add some keyboard trickery to
>> get the arrow keys to work in the web console though.
>
> but VMware ESXi 5.x is very crippled in its free configuration, with
> draconian limits on how much RAM is allowed before you have to start
> paying for licenses.

I'd look at it the other way and say that the free version of ESXi,
the client and the conversion tool is really very nice to give away
for free...  In many ways it is more convenient to use than KVM and
very, very stable.  But, I haven't had any trouble getting KVM (or a
recent virtualbox) to run the same vmdk images, so you aren't
completely tied to it.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com