[CentOS] Tk font problem with CentOS 6

Glenn Eychaner

geychaner at mac.com
Thu Sep 12 21:02:15 UTC 2013

I'm having an odd problem which I can't seem to find the answer to. I have recently upgraded from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 (using a fresh install and migrate). However, I have a bunch of Tk widgets that use font names like "12x24" and "5x7", etc.  Under CentOS 5 (Tk 8.4), this worked fine; however, under CentOS 6 (Tk 8.5), this does not seem to work properly; it does not find the fonts and reverts to a (pretty, but wrong) default font.

I have verified using xlsfonts, xdpyfont, etc. that the fonts exist; for example, "12x24" is apparently now an alias for:
-Sony-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--24-170-100-100-C-120-ISO8859-1
and if I specify this full name in Tk, it works fine.

What am I doing wrong here, or did the enhanced font support in Tk 8.5 subtly break fonts using an "WxH" designation?

-G.
--
Glenn Eychaner (geychaner at lco.cl)
Telescope Systems Programmer, Las Campanas Observatory