[CentOS] Setting up postfix under CentOS-6

natxo asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 06:53:58 UTC 2013

On 09/12/2013 12:03 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I recently, perhaps foolishly, changed over a remote server
> from sendmail/procmail to postfix/amavis/spamassassin/clamd ,
> and I'm finding it difficult to configure this setup.

migrating is always a pain.

> The CentOS document <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix>
> explicitly says that its instructions may not work in CentOS-6.
> Does anyone know of reasonably simple postfix documentation
> for CentOS-6?

no. Maybe you can write one after you figure it out :-)

> I've been amazed how bad the postfix documentation is.
> It actually seems to be worse that sendmail documentation,
> which I thought established a record for this sort of thing.
> The official documentation at
> <http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html>
> is ludicrously wordy, with every conceivable option
> listed in random order.

let me disagree with you.

Postfix's target audience is not the average joe user but e-mail
administrators. It is assumed you know some stuff about how smtp e-mail
works.

With that in mind, its documentation is simple, to the point and accurate.

For simple scenarios, you go to the 'General configuration' bullet
points. In there you even have standard configuration examples:

http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html

Once you have that figured out, then you can go on to other configs,
like the content inspection, integration with other data sources,
performance problems, etc. It does make sense once you approach it with
an e-mail admin hat on.

If what you want is an appliance that handles this stuff but hides it
all under the hood from you, maybe you should be looking at commercial
offerings like barracuda. It is nothing to be ashamed of to buy stuff
that works and has support when something goes wrong. Handling e-mail
for a company without understanding how it works internally can be
stressing.

Also, the postfix mailing list is the best place to ask postfix questions

--
Groet,
natxo