[CentOS] Setting up postfix under CentOS-6

Patrick Lists centos-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 13 11:46:31 UTC 2013

On 09/13/2013 12:56 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Ned Slider wrote:
>
>>> I didn't find anything wrong in the document in question
>>> (http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix),
>>> except that a couple of packages mentioned
>>> (ystem-change-mail*) don't seem to exist in CentOS-6.
>>>

>> That was for switching the default MTA in EL5. As Postfix is already the
>> default in EL6 it is simply not needed.
>
> That's not the case.
> If you upgrade from CentOS-5 to CentOS-6,
> which I imagine the vast majority of people did,

In my experience, in an enterprise environment, servers do not get
upgraded (note up*g*raded, not updated). Instead new servers are
installed with EL6 and the old ones with EL5 are phased out. This makes
sense not only because you do not want to impact operations with a
potentially hazardous upgrade but also because it is an opportunity to
deploy the latest version of any apps that will be running on top of the
shiny new EL6 instance (think Oracle, SAP, etc.).

If I understand your situation correctly than maybe it it's easier to
install EL6 on a spare box or as a VM, get postfix going, document it,
and then do the move from sendmail to postfix.

Regards,
Patrick