[CentOS] easy BASH question

zGreenfelder zgreenfelder at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 16:34:31 UTC 2013

there are numbers at the start of the line?

e.g. your regex is actually something more like "^[0-9]+ su"
and depending on your unix variant (e.g. not a linux, possibly)
you really mean egrep and not grep (although to a centos list, yes they're
likely actually the same, but it still might be worth noting)

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>wrote:

> I am obviously missing something basic here but can someone explain to me
> what
> is wrong with the first statement, which returns nothing?
>
> $ history | grep ^su
> $ history | grep su
>  2997  su -l
>  3024  su -l
>  3050  su -l
>  3054  su -l
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> ***          E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel          ***
> James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca
> Harte & Lyne Limited          http://www.harte-lyne.ca
> 9 Brockley Drive              vox: +1 905 561 1241
> Hamilton, Ontario             fax: +1 905 561 0757
> Canada  L8E 3C3

Even the Magic 8 ball has an opinion on email clients: Outlook not so good.