[CentOS] Gnome 2.x window placement

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Sep 16 18:31:33 UTC 2013

When starting a program from the commandline in C5, is there any way to
specify where on the screen the resulting window will be put?

I have a nuisance of a problem: Running rdesktop with the -D option
(which hides window decorations, making the rdesktop window appear
borderless), one cannot (as far as I can figure out) drag the window:
there are no borders to grab, and alt-drag doesn't work either.

it's always opening in a place that covers other windows, and I can't drag
it away from there.

specifically: I want to run two instances of rdesktop, and it always
plunks the second one right on top of the first one. since I can't drag
either of them, I can't see them both at the same time. (I "carefully"
configure each of them so they are the exact size of the physical screen,
so that it looks like a real windows session, and also prevents me from
casually/stupidly closing the entire RDP window by accident.) Since I have
two displays, I'd like to place one of them on each screen, by itself.

Anyone know how to solve this?

thanks!

Fred
                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.