[CentOS] Chromium update

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Sep 18 10:41:43 UTC 2013

On 09/17/2013 11:27 PM, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> Latest chromium-el6 at
> http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/chromium/6/x86_64/RPMS/
> is
> chromium-28.0.1500.95-213514.x86_64.rpm
>
> but latest chromium stable is 29.0.1547.xx
>
> wondering if there are any problems building version 29?

Yes, there are problems building the code with the CentOS-6
glibc/gcc/glib2 combination ... there are several segfaults during the
build.

I am working on it, and I have made progress, but I might not be able to
get it to work.

In the mean time there is another option that also works, and that is to
include the required libraries to actually run the original chrome in
its own directory.  I have not actually used this, but it should work
based on the concept:

http://www.tecmint.com/install-google-chrome-on-redhat-centos-fedora-linux/

Again, I have not used this, but it should work .. if someone does use
it, post here.

Another option to try is to build chromium with the devtools from here:

http://people.centos.org/tru/devtools-1.1/

I will continue to try to get chromium to build, but since google is no
longer supportive of EL6, I may not  be able to get it to build.  Note:
Google also no longer supports using "GNU make", but requires a compile
system called ninja to properly build the code ... also causing issues
with build on CentOS.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes