[CentOS] Creating 38TB ext4 FS

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Sep 20 22:21:07 UTC 2013

On 9/20/2013 2:27 PM, Peter Wood wrote:
> XFS worked. Thanks a lot.

for large xfs file systems, be sure to mount with option inode64.

there's one caveat on XFS in Linux, when used as a nfs export... if you
JUST export your file system root, then you're fine, but if you like to
have multiple seperate exports on the same file system, NFS does NOT
like the 64 bit inode numbers, so you HAVE to specify manual arbitrary
unique export fsid numbers.   I usually just use fsid=1,2,3,... for the
exports.  AFAIK, they only have to be unique within the file system.
there's an fsid=uuid option but I ran into multiple problems in my
heterogeneous production environment with this, too.

also, natch, you should ONLY use xfs on a 64bit OS.    I think its
intentionally disabled on 32bit, but if you were to try and force it,
you'd get into data corruptions or kernel panics.

and, a large XFS file system requires quite a bit of RAM to do the
xfs_check/repair (equiv to fsck)