[CentOS] Old hardware, newer kernels

Lists lists at benjamindsmith.com
Tue Sep 24 19:55:42 UTC 2013

On 09/19/2013 08:26 PM, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> It works for what it does.  And I'm completely prepared to freeze it as far
> as software goes.  I was just curious what may have happened after that
> particular version of the kernel, and whether there's something else I can
> do, or call it done, slap a red sticker on it that read, "DON'T EVER
> UPGRADE ANYMORE" and call it done.

For what it's worth, we have a single-core P3 running the latest
Centos6/32 without issue. I realize that from a processing power stand
point my SIP phone is probably faster, but like Ashley, it does a job
and very well at that. (network monitor)

[root at edison ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 7
model name      : Pentium III (Katmai)
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 498.456
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov
pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
bogomips        : 996.91
clflush size    : 32
cache_alignment : 32
power management:

[root at edison ~]# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.i686
(mockbuild at c6b10.bsys.dev.centos.org) (gcc version 4.4.7 20120313 (Red
Hat 4.4.7-3) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Wed Aug 28 14:27:42 UTC 2013