[CentOS] to lvm or not to lvm - why/when to use lvm

Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator

goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Thu Sep 26 08:44:36 UTC 2013

Hi,

I was wondering, why/when it is useful or when should I avoid to use LVM.

I think the big advantage of LVMing is if you modify (rezising, ...)
disk and filesystem layouts "a lot".

Are there any real pros or cons for following situations regarding e.g.
management and speed?

e.g.:

I do have a server system raid for which the disk layout will not
change; e.g. /var /usr /home will not change much in size.

OR

I do have some file storage shares (iscsi raids) up to some TB each on
one big storage device.

Sometimes (e.g. after a server crash) it is useful to remount the
storage to a different server.

Should I use LVM on the iscsi storage volumes?

	Any suggestion and comment is welcome . Regards . Götz

--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 82 420
Fax  +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Akademiehof 10
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Jürgen Walter MdL
Forschung und Kunst Baden-Württemberg

Geschäftsführer: Prof. Thomas Schadt