[CentOS] erase disk

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Sep 26 18:52:59 UTC 2013

Bret Taylor wrote:
> Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>I have a CentOS server (a Dell 860) with two drives in it.
>>One is running CentOS 6.4 which I want to keep & the bigger 400GB drive
>>has Debian 7 on it which I want to erase & use for backups.
>>Which is the best way to go about achieving my intended goal? The
>>Debian drive is not mounted when Centos is booted.
>>
>>Any help appreciated.

> Burn a DBAN disk. Shutdown, pull out the drive you want to keep. Boot to
> the dban disk, when prompted type autonuke, wait for the process to
> complete. Shutdown, reinsert the centos drive you wanted to keep. You will
> now have your centos main drive, and a blank backup disk. You'll need to
> run mkfs on the blank drive. Then mount it where you want it.

Then put the dban disk on the shelf over your desk - you *will* want it
again (and again, and again....)

Most *excellent* piece of software. Of course, working for a US federal
contractor, when I sanitize, I overkill (DoD 5220.22-M)... but I *am*
signing my name to the form guaranteeing it's clean.

We, at least, are not going to have accidents with PII and HIPAA data.

         mark