[CentOS] scanner only works in su mode

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Sep 26 19:07:10 UTC 2013

Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013, Robert Heller wrote:
>
>> It looks like to use the scanner you need to edit your /etc/group file
or use the user manager to add yourself to the lp group.

> That did not work.
> I ran a separate login to get one that admitted I was in the lp group.
Applying strace to hp-scan told me that it could not open
> /dev/bus/usb/001/006 for writing.
> Its owner and group are both root.

I'll try again.

google for centos 6 scanner ownership permissions

The first hit I got is a thread on this list from '11 or last year. The
last post in the thread ends with:
Excerpt:
Actual fix:

1) # scanimage -L
device `epkowa:interpreter:001:005' is a Epson (unknown model) flatbed
scanner
to get the bus and the device (in the above, bus = 001; device = 005)

2) "lsusb" to get the ID

# lsusb | grep -i "bus 001" | grep -i "device 005"
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04b8:0131 Seiko Epson Corp.

3) cd to the udev "sane" directory
# cd /etc/udev/rules.d

4) find the "sane" configuration file.
# ls | grep -i sane
60-libsane.rules

5) add an entry into the sane configuration file for your scanner.

Note: the ATTRS{idVendor} is the first half of your ID above (04b8)

the ATTRS{idProduct} is the second half of your ID above (0131)

the name in the comments you make up yourself

if you put all your users into group "users", then use "users" for the
group below. If you use a different group for each user, then create a
group called "scanners" (groupadd scanners), use "scanners" for
the group below, and add each user to the "scanners" group

# Epkowa Epson Perfection V300
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04b8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0131",
ENV{libsane_matched}="yes", MODE="0664", OWNER="root", GROUP="users" ---
end excerpt ---

Modify to fit your system and device.

     mark