[CentOS] erase disk

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Sep 26 21:58:21 UTC 2013

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013, SilverTip257 wrote:

> Eh, I don't really think dban is necessary.  Probably more than an
> fdisk and creating a file system is overkill.

My policies are work are simple:

  1. Re-use by same employee: stick with filesystem tools.
  2. Re-use within company: single-pass zeroing of disk.
  3. Retirement of asset: three-pass of random bits.

I've never seen the need for a seven-pass randomization. If pressed,
I'd probably agree that a one-pass zeroing is good enough for just
about any situation. Asset retirement isn't a time-sensitive task,
however, so I always use a three-pass randomization before it heads
out the door.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com