[CentOS] to lvm or not to lvm - why/when to use lvm

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Sep 27 18:06:18 UTC 2013

On 9/27/2013 9:39 AM, Phil Gardner wrote:
> So we can generally say that LVM offers no real drawbacks in terms of
> flexibility, but it seems like we are mostly talking about homebrew setups.
>
> What about in a high iops situation? Is there any evidence/testing out
> there that might show that there is some overhead of LVM that might
> impact total throughput?

I ran quite a lot of disk IO benchmarks awhile back on both JBOD and
hardware raid SAS configurations with high performance 15000 rpm drives
as well as 7200rpm nearline drives... I found zilch significant
difference between using a direct file system and LVM with either ext4fs
or xfs.   what differences i saw were down in the statistical noise and
not repeatable.