[CentOS] erase disk

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 15:35:03 UTC 2013

On 26/09/13 20:33, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 9/26/2013 11:30 AM, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>> I have a CentOS server (a Dell 860) with two drives in it.
>>
>> One is running CentOS 6.4 which I want to keep & the bigger 400GB drive
>> has Debian 7 on it which I want to erase & use for backups.
>>
>> Which is the best way to go about achieving my intended goal? The Debian
>> drive is not mounted when Centos is booted.
> this 400GB drive is /dev/sdb ?
>
> as root...
> fdisk /dev/sdb
>            and delete all partitions, create a new linux partition thats
> the full size of the disk, exit fdisk.
> mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1
> mkdir /backups
>
> edit /etc/fstab and add a line to the bottom like:
> /dev/sdb1    /backups     ext3   defaults    1 2
>
> now, mount /backups
>
> voila, done.  your backups will be mounted as /backups when you reboot.

Thanks to everybody for their input but I think I'll go with the method
above. The disk is virtually a virgin Debian install so no secret or
critical files are aboard & I think this should suffice.

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,

      Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
Arch Linux, CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Spherical & That Damn Cat, Lubuntu 12.10, OS X Snow Leopard & Tiger, Ubuntu Quantal, Raring & Saucy